Tuesday, February 28, 2012

My First Half Marathon!!

Ok so if we are being honest, I could have trained harder. I look back and wish I would have run more, ran for longer, pushed myself harder. The adrenaline and excitement of being there doing it clouded my judgement to actually train hard.
I will do another one of these in my life and I will be better prepared. It was amazing.

We checked in at registration and I found my name on the list.....




The only Bevans...



We stayed with John and Cassi and I brought a white shirt so I could decorate it to my hearts content. Want some more honesty? John did most of it. He had all this paint already and made the stencil and I just had ideas, John had execution.


THis is my racing buddy... She did awesome!! She ran in front of me and could have got a better time but she came back and got me and dragged me across the finish line. We both cried somehwere along the way, we encouraged each other at different times. We pushed each other. It was amazing.




Waiting at our corrall!




We are ready to go!!




That red blur with her arms up and that white blur with her arms up is Channing and I! My Dad, John, and Joni were all waiting up at mile 1 so meet us in our travels! It was so awesome!



Loved seeing them but it was mile one! We couldn't stop!




A picture of the crowd. It was insane! 66,000 runners between half and full marathon. For the first 5 miles Chan and I were zig zagging through the crowd. She stayed a step ahead and pushed through and I followed her and squeezed through as well. We both had to pee at the beginning of the race but the lines were so long and we were so excited we just waited. Well we did not find short enough lines to stop and pee at until mile 8 on the way back down the strip!!

Chan and I trained in a way where we knew we would walk when we needed to. We would try our hardest to go for as long as we could and walk for short periods when need be.

We did not stop for a walk/water break until mile 5!! We almost stopped at 4.5 miles but I thought we are so close let's just push through and get to mile 5! And we did! We walked briskly, drank water, and took some Goo. Goo on pretty much empty stomachs was awful. By mile 8-9 we were starving and it was so tempting to stop at Denny's you would not believe!!
Keep in mind we were running up and down the Vegas strip and temptation was everywhere! haha.. ok so we never really would have stopped but we were hungry.



Picture stop at the 10 mile marker!! 3 more to go!!

I was dead at this point. Mile 8-9 were my breaking point. I was getting seized up so I was jogging but it was the slowest jog on earth. It actually felt better to jog then walk because walking reminded me of all, of my muscles that were tired and sore and seizing up. So my slow jog was basically Channings fast walk pace, so we did that for a while.


This was toward the end... like 1 or 1.5 miles to go..

I look thrilled eh?! hahaha

I was so ready to be at the finish line! Like I said at the beginning, my training needs to step it up before the next one!


Pushing through the pain!




THE FINISH LINE!!!!

Channing held my hand across the finish line and we did it!!!

We stopped a took a quick picture, got our medal and headed for the food!! hahaha.. we grabbed everything they were offering to carb back up. Bagels, pretzels, power bars, and tons of water!



See, this is us stuffing our faces... :)



HALF MARATHONERS!!!!



Our family at the end!!


I limped back to the car. The walk to the car was brutal. And then we jumped in a car and drove back to Canada that night. 16 hours. Everytime we stopped at a gas station and Chan and I walked in we were limping like we were 90. We could barely move our legs frm the gas to the break when it was our turn to drive. hahaha.... getting in the car right after was not the best but we had to get home.


It was an amazing first time. There are things I would do different, maybe a different location even. But no one will ever take those memories from my first half marathon from me.


Thanks for being my running buddy Chan!!






1 comments:

Mallory said...

Congrats Cam!! You're amazing! Way to be a driven after having such a darling baby. I just think you're wonderful and am proud of you for doing something so awesome. Love you!